There are times when Zürich Networking Group members and others would like to delete their LinkedIn profile, often because they no-longer use an email address, or it is a duplicate, or simply because they do not want to be on LinkedIn anymore.
First, let us deal with merge or delete your duplicate LinkedIn account
You need to know which of the two or more pages you want to keep and you need to know when you merge them, the latest words from LinkedIn state:
Closing your account will delete any recommendations or endorsements you’ve given or received, plus your messages and connections. Closing your account means permanently deleting your profile and removing access to all your LinkedIn information from our site. update of Mar 1, 2018
The reality is with the changes of 2018, it extends to skills verification, pending invitations, alumni and University as well as group memberships which will be lost from one profile as well.
To merge two accounts, it is best to do it manually yourself, although its value following recent updates would best be limited to:
- Determine which account you want to keep. Most people keep the one with the most connections.
- Login if you can to the account you want to delete – export the connections into a CSV file ( in the new rules post 2018 you will not get too many email, phone or other nuggets of information you get when you view a profile).
- Click the My Network icon at the top of your LinkedIn homepage.
- Click Your connections on the left rail.
- Click Manage synced and imported contacts near the top right of the page.
- Under Advanced actions on the right rail, click Export contacts.
- You may be prompted to sign into your account. Click Request Archive.
- You will receive an email to your account profile email address which will include a link where you can download your list of connections.
- Expect this process to take 5 to 30 minutes depending upon LinkedIn and your connection number.
- Save any sections of your LinkedIn profile you wish to reuse, simply copy paste into a word or other text document.
- Save and document your profile recommendations:
- The ones that you have received in the same way as above, a few people have taken a picture and re-sent it to the person to have it renewed on their new profile. It is up to you.
- Do the same for the ones you have given, just in case your “main” profile is different and you would like to re-do them
- List the groups you belong to by looking at the side panel on the left or in the Interests section towards the end of your profile, following recent updates some may be unlisted so double check by clicking to visiting the group and copying the url. To simply list a name now with the 2018 group changes may not get you back in/back to the group.
- Take a look at your Inmail and messages, is there anyone you need to redirect to your other profile? Is there anything there needing to be actioned? If not, copy/paste and date record in a word or similar document key conversations.
- Close your unwanted account
To close a LinkedIn Account
- To delete permanently your LinkedIn account, you need to visit Privacy and Settings
- Move your cursor over your photo in the top right corner of your homepage and select Privacy & Settings.
- Select the Accounts tab at the top of the page.
- Under Account Management, you will see the option to delete the account, make your selection.
Now, what do you do with the profile you want to keep and the other profile you deleted information?
- First, let us work on the connections so please log in to your LinkedIn account
- Click my network – connections
- Look on the right-hand side select “Manage synced and imported contacts, Your contact import is ready” and click Continue / More options
- Choose the upload option on the far right to upload your CSV file and follow the prompts.
- Next, have a look at your profile, paste any relevant information into it and do the required touch-up revisions ( You could also consider hiring Andrew Travers or a member of his team to help you to write or review your LinkedIn profile).
- Update the Recommendations, some people send an image as said previously others auto-complete the request by pasting in the old recommendation content so it is an easy way to accept and repost.
- Join your Alumni, re-join wanted groups and either search by group name or use the urls you copied to access them one by one. After the group updates of 2018, there is a delay for acceptance so you may be pending for a few weeks. This is due to the update removing many of the group management tools.
For more information on LinkedIn please access the Zürich Networking Group Supporter member Linkedin Category content here.Tags: delete LinkedIn profileLinkedin Profile managementLinkedin Usemerge LinkedIn profile